Now that we have made it through the first week after surgery we are looking forward towards the future. Lots of stuff will begin to happen over the next week as Sunny hopefully goes off all of his pain medications and get his sutures removed. Getting him off of he pain medications will be a big win for me since it will allow me I’m also happy to report that he slept through last night! I’m not sure if it was because he was tired due to our trip to GVR or because of the new homeopathic medications, but we were ecstatic either way. I’m hoping maybe he has turned a corner and this will once again become the norm. All that said we will likely stop giving him the hypericum. We have not found a good way to give it to him. He is not a fan of us just putting the tiny pills directly into his mouth (he actually spit one out) and he would not drink water that I dissolved them into. I was able to dissolve them into a very small amount of water I can put into a syringe and put directly into his mouth, but he hates it so much I have to wonder if the benefits out weigh the negative experience of him receiving it? At a minimum there is no way we can give it to him three times a day. Right now I’m just thinking this will be something we try in the evening before bed and if we are successful, then great, if not we may just have to give up after a few days of trying. It would be much easier if you could just give it with food!
Sunny ate what amounted to his full diet today for the first time since coming home even though it is still containing wet food. All in all he seems to be doing better with each passing day. We made more trips than we have been outside today and he showed interest in exploring the yard. All in all a lot of positive developments. I also started working with him on his at home exercises to help build his core strength. I know we still have a long road ahead of us, but I can’t help but start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
We called BluePearl today to see if they biopsy results were back since they originally told us it would only be three to five days. They said they were still waiting on the bone to calcify. We couldn’t help but laugh imaging them dissolving the whole leg. In actuality though this likely means that the sarcoma had invaded the toe it was perched upon. It just reconfirmed for me that we made the right decision to amputate. Hopefully we will soon have the additional lab results to once again confirm this. They are still treating him as cured so we are optimistic this wont change.
To remove ads from your site and others, upgrade to a Tripawds Supporter blog!